Chalk Paint Review and Hutch Makeover!



Hey Guys, 
Just dropping in to show you a fun hutch makeover we just completed.
If you follow us on Instagram you've seen a few sneak peaks but we 
also wanted  to give our take on this new chalk paint product we used. 

We've been painting furniture for over 5 years now.  
A lot of pieces have come by our brushes,
 but we had yet to try any of the chalk paints that we've all seen all over blog land.
Why?
Cost mostly.
  We usually can get paint at a huge discount (whether its a mistint or from our local ReStore or leftover from a home project)
So we couldn't rationalize the price points of chalk paint,
 not to mention the limited options in color.
Until now!
BBFROSCH chalk paint powder is a $10 powder that transforms any existing flat paint
of your choice and color into chalk paint.
We thought we'd give it a try! 
For $10 bucks we wanted to see for ourselves!


Spoiler Alert!
We like!

I found this piece off our local craigslist.
It was in Perfect condition!
A rarity. 
The previous owner had purchased it in Singapore.
  I ALMOST felt guilty painting over the flawless wood
But....
Can't help myself!
The beauty of chalk paint is that you're able to avoid the prep step of sanding and priming 
all together!
Hallelujah!
let's skip the monotonous stuff
and jump right into the fun!
That's the big draw for us.

So once I'd mixed the powder into my paint,
I just brushed it on.
It went surprisingly far.
I covered the whole outside of this hutch with just over 2 cups.

At this point in the process, I still hadn't seen any big differences in all the hundreds of paint pieces I've tackled before.
EXCEPT for being able to skip the prep step.
Can I get another Hallelujah!

It sat in this state for several days with me feeling uninspired by the piece.
Until...
 I distressed it!
That's where I could see the difference from traditonal paint.
It distressed with such ease, 
and beautifully!
I knew I wanted this one heavily distressed to show off all the detail.


Distressing it brought this piece to life!
I distressed it with my orbital sander as usual but this time it came off with such ease and left patterns in the piece that looked so much more natural.
Plus the time saved on skipping the whole sanding before painting step.






 Get a sneak peak at my newly painted chimney. :)

The original wood inside the hutch was beautiful. 
I was tempted to leave it as is, but it was so dark you couldn't see anything once the doors were shut.
So glad the paintbrush won again.

This blue is Valspars Sea Air
You can find it in their spring line of their $3 sample colors

The white is Valspars White Dove
Both paints were done in a flat finish (as recommended by BBFROSCH)


I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!
This piece would be beautiful as is,
 in a kitchen or 
for linens in a Master Bath, or a Boutique, to display product.


I know! I know! I can't stop taking pictures!
She's so purdy!!


The inside blue paint was watered down just enough to give a whitewashed effect and  leave some of the character of the beautiful wood exposed.










How many armoires is too many?
I want to keep them all!






Traditional paint still has its place for sure,
 but I was very pleased with our first attempt using the chalk paint powder.
 And when it came to the distressing, 
I think it made ALL the difference.
I'm excited to try it again on some future pieces for sure!
We'll be sure and keep you updated!
We love to hear good honest reviews of a product before using them
to save us all time and money. 
Let us know your experience with this chalk paint!
We'd love to know!